It’s Tuesday again and over at The Broke and the Bookish that means it’s time for another Tuesday Top Ten! This week’s topic is your Top Ten “Awww” Moments In Books (those cute lines, charming actions, kisses, or any other sentimental moment that made you say “AWWW!”. This was so difficult to chose from but I think I finally managed to narrow it down!
1. The last chapter of Anne of the Island by L.M. Montgomery. The scene where Gilbert asks Anne if she has any unfulfilled dreams, and he tells her that he persists of dreaming of a life with her. This line makes me “aww” every single time:
“I don’t want sunbursts and marble halls. I just want YOU. You see I’m quite as shameless as Phil about it. Sunbursts and marble halls may be all very well, but there is more `scope for imagination’ without them. And as for the waiting, that doesn’t matter. We’ll just be happy, waiting and working for each other — and dreaming. Oh, dreams will be very sweet now.”
2. The scene at the end of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows when you see Ron and Hermione kiss for the very first time. It was a moment almost 7 books in the making and I just about dropped my book in glee when it finally did. (not that we didn’t all know it was coming, but seriously let me have this one).
3. The scene in Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins between Anna and St. Clair on top of Notre-Dame. Part of the feeling from this scene comes from the setting and part from the dialogue between the two characters. But it’s definitely aww-inspiring.
4. The very last chapter of Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins. I don’t want to ruin that for those who haven’t read it, but I think it was perfectly done and not overly mushy. Just the right amount of “aww” for Katniss.
5. The scene in Vision of the Future by Timothy Zahn where Luke Skywalker proposes to Mara Jade. In a way it had been building for years and through countless novels, but it still seemed to come flying out of the left galaxy and stun the reader. I think I shouted out a “YES!” in the middle of my high school classroom when I read it.
6. In If I Stay by Gayle Forman, the scene where Adam is sitting by Mia’s bed and telling her that he’ll do whatever she needs, whatever she wants, if she’ll just stay. That made me aww through my tears which I wasn’t sure was possible before!
7. In Shadow Kiss by Richelle Mead I found myself “awwing” uncontrollable during the scenes with Rose and Dimitri. The connected between the two of them was far too strong and it was incredibly sweet at the same time.
8. In The Outlaws of Sherwood by Robin McKinley pretty much any scene between Cecily and Little John. Everything Robin McKinley writes is delightful and amazing and this re-telling of the Robin Hood legend is certainly no exception.
9. The ending of The Amber Spyglass by Philip Pullamn. The scene between Lyra and Will is so touching and so pure and innocent. I adored this trilogy and everything about it.
10. The scene between Fire and Brigan in the little green house in Kristin Cashore’s Fire. It’s so sweet and something you’ve been waiting to hear for the entire novel.
I’m sure at some point in the future I will write a top ten list that doesn’t involve something from the Harry Potter series.
Possibly. Maybe. Probably not. I shouldn’t kid myself.