It’s Tuesday again and over at The Broke and the Bookish that means it’s time for another Tuesday Top Ten! This week’s topic is the Top Ten Books I’d Recommend As Good Beach Reads.
There are few things better than heading to the peach or pool, with a good book and a cold drink in hand. Since it’s summer I tend to go for lighthearted or romance books, which is not my usual fare but it’s a fun distraction! So, here are my books for best books to read by the pool or at the beach!
1. Summer Sisters by Judy Blume. As a kid I could not get enough of Judy Blume’s books and turns out that’s true as an adult as well! Summer Sisters is made for reading at the beach, I mean just look at the title! This is one of my go-to reads when I’m headed for the beach or the pool.
2. The Beach House by Jane Green. I have a soft spot for Jane Green when it comes to chick-lit, usually because her books are set in England! This one, however is set in Nantucket and makes for a perfect beachy read!
3. Girls in White Dresses by Jennifer Close. This is my “poot pitiful me” read of the summer, as I identify all too well with Isabella, Mary, and Lauren who are navigating their late twenties as single women as all their friends get married and start to procreate. It helps me to know I’m not alone!
4. Lock and Key by Sarah Dessen (or Just Listen, or What Happened to Goodbye, or any of her novels!). I adore Sarah Dessen books for their simplicity and sweet romances. They bring a smile to my face as I lounge by the pool idly flipping pages and wishing that a handsome, sweet boy would appear as my next door neighbor (preferably one close to 30 than his teens though!)
5. Outer Banks by Anne Rivers Siddons. To be honest this book isn’t really all that great, but it’s got romance and friendship and betrayal, plus it reminds me of a summer vacation to Ocracoke Island in the Outer Banks over a decade ago. It’s worth reading if you’re looking for a beachy read that’s a bit more thrilling and heartbreaking than normal.
6. Twenty Boy Summer by Sarah Ockler. A great YA read for the beach, it feels like you’re right there alongside Anna and Frankie as they navigate their twenty by summer adventure!
7. Two-way Street by Lauren Barnholdt. Follow Jordan and Courtney on summer road trip that was planned before they couple broke up. From the comfort of your longue chair you can follow the couple as they make their way to college and maybe even back towards each other?
8. Paper Towns by John Green. Not your normal beach read, but the story of the end of high school for sort of friends Margot and Quentin is an engaging read that will have you reading long after the sun has set for the day.
9. Crush: 26 Real-lifeTales of First Love by Andrea N. Richesin. What better time than the lazy days of summer to reflect back upon your first love? Through the stories of 26 different authors you’re able to experience that magic moment again and again.
10. Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins. I love this book so much and it’s light-hearted and warm fuzzy romance provide a fantastic companion for a day sipping drinks by the beach or pool.
What are your favorite summer/beach reads? I need to pick up a few new books for my summer reading and am looking for suggestions!